Monday, February 6, 2012

Fail... but a good one

Bre last posted a week ago. Womp-womp.

Anyway, let's start:

1) Greta is cleared for ten minutes of trot per week now! Wheee!! And I got a pretty sick trot out of her Saturday out on the two-mile gravel track alongside the stable property. She feels great. So great in fact, that...

2) Greta thought it would be great fun, after being so well behaved for the past five or six visits, to go nutters in the round pen during the vet check. After me having a slight anxiety attack, the vet assured me that it was not a big deal and that she looks really good. Greta feels very good now.

3) She also was very excited to ride today, and the cool weather and great deal of activity around the barn furthered her enthusiasm. Were she not recovering from an injury, this would have been one of those days where she could have used a nice gallop or hardcore flatwork session to really get her working and thinking (she was very excited to work and really wanted to). However, I'm not risking any overenthusiastic outbursts, so I decided against the ride after she sprang and pranced and danced about underneath me a few times because we were only walking (much too impatient to wait for the trot). The look on the poor pony's face when I put her up and gave her lots of pats and cookies after sitting on her for a mere minute. It was that "But... I really wanted to work today.... *sad puppy face*" sort of look. It procured a frown from me.

4)I just realized I'm reading five books right now: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Catching Fire (tenth time now, booyah), We Need to Talk About Kevin (good book, but rather scary), and two Jonathan Safran Foer novels Everything is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It's one of the many perks of having a Kindle: you can read a little bit from one book and pop over to another. It's funny that they all tie together in a way. I can't quite put my finger on it, but they do. I'm not a nerd, I swear.

5) I'm going to get video of Greta really working in the Micklem soon, so I can do a proper write-up on that bridle. So far I am really loving it. But definitely a certain bridle for a certain horse. She has never felt so relaxed and on the bit, but that could also be a combination of her leg recovering and my riding improving (at least, I think it has....)

6) I went to jousting practice with jenj on Sunday!! Be looking for a post with a video from that! It was so much fun!

7) Forget technicalities... all horses are "ponies". Admit it: even you with the big 16.3 h warmblood call him a "pony". It's a fact of horsey life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are greatly appreciated and, most importantly, Greta loves you for commenting ♥

Thanks guys!